A family of five have reportedly died in Odareko-Uchenyim village in Cross River State on Friday after eating the cooked dog meat that had been poisoned.
According to reports from Vanguard, their dog had reportedly been a nuisance to villagers, as it frequently ate eggs laid by chickens in the village.
One of the villagers decided to get rid of the dog by poisoning it. The villager laced the eggs laid by the chicken with Gamalin 20 insecticide.
When the dog ate the eggs, it fell ill, and when it was almost dead, its owner killed and cooked it as it was a normal delicacy in the village.
His family and neighbours ate the dog meat, including the intestines. They subsequently fell ill and were rushed to a nearby health center, where they were pronounced dead on arrival.
“A feeling of grief has descended on the entire village and people are deeply saddened by what took place as such a tragedy has not befallen them before,” said one of the villagers. The deceased have since been buried.